San Pasqual Battlefield & Kit Carson District Patch
The Kit Carson District and the San Pasqual Battlefield State Historic Park have collaborated to offer Scouts of all ages the opportunity to earn a very unique and historic patch. Simply visit the State Historic Park, watch an informative historic video, answer a few questions, take a brief hike and submit an application (and small fee) to one of the volunteers at the visitor’s center and the collectable patch is yours
SAN PASQUAL BATTLEFIELD & KIT CARSON DISTRICT PATCH (BSA)
This patch may be obtained by doing all of the listed activities and answering the following questions:
- 1. Visit the San Pasqual Battlefield State Park while in uniform.
- 2. After viewing the video “Mr. Polks War,” at the visitor’s center and talking with the park’s interpreter/docents, answer the following questions.
- A. What was the term that was circulating around the United States that describes the idea that the country was supposed to eventually be one nation, from coast to coast?
- B. When did the war with Mexico begin? When was the Battle of San Pasqual?
- C. Who was the American general who fought with the Californios at the Battle of
- San Pasqual?
- D. Who was the leader of the Californios at the Battle of San Pasqual who would
- later serve as a California state senator?
- E. Both sides claimed victory. In what way were the Californios the victors and in
- what way could the American dragoons claim victory?
- F. After the battle, the American army dragoons eventually ended up on a hill near the Westfield Mall and Interstate15. What name did they give that hill and why?
- G. What are the names of two of the men who snuck away from the American’s
- encircled hill position and made their way to San Diego to get reinforcements from Commodore Stockton?
- H. Explain Kit Carson’s contributions to General Kearny and the Army of the West.
- I. Name the battalion that arrived in San Diego in January of 1847 that would
- strengthen the claim of the dragoon commander in his rightful position as military
- governor of California over that of John C, Fremont.
- I. Why were Stephen Watts Kearny’s actions in California important to the stability of California?
- J. Observe the monuments and plaques located behind the amphitheater and .4
- miles west along highway 78. What is written on the plaques?
- 3. Hike the San Deiguito River 6 mile trail from the trailhead at Ysabel Creek
- Rd/Bandy Canyon Rd to Mule Hill. A map of this segment can be found at the San
- Dieguito River Park website: http://www.sdrp.org/images/mule_hill_trailmap.jpg
- 4. Submit your correct answers and the following form to one of the volunteers at the desk of the battlefield park’s visitor’s center with your answer sheets and $4.00.